News and Announcements

High School Options
(For 8th Grade Students and Parents)

Where can my child go to high school?

  • Your child’s zoned public high school- Students in Polk County are zoned only to other Polk County Public Schools. (not to private or charter schools- Lake Wales Charter High School is by application only because it is a charter school)
  • Lake Region High School (Eagle Lake) with CTE and other Majors in the Fine Arts- if out of zone, a transfer request must be done.
  • Harrison School for the Arts (Lakeland)- by application and audition-
  • Ridge Career Center (Winter Haven-must be at least 16 years old)
  • The Cambridge Academy at Winter Haven High School– by application only
  • If you receive an IB letter from a high school, then, it is by application (you must attend the meeting)
  • Summerlin Academy– located right behind Bartow High School- by application
  • Polk State Chain of Lakes Collegiate High School– 863-297-1000 (for 11th and 12th graders only and by application only)
  • For overaged students – Alternative schools:

New Beginnings– ages 15-24- Contact number 863-268-2554

The REAL Academy– application-at Eastside Elementary in Haines City- McLaughlin Guidance Counselor enters the application for you.

Gause Academy– Bartow Middle School- contact number 863-534-7425



-Talk to your high school  School Counselor about Honors classes, AP classes, Dual Enrollment, Collegiate.

Volunteer hours for high school starts the summer of 2020. Volunteer hours before the summer of 2020 do not count.

-Any high school class that you take in middle school or virtual school effects your high school transcript, participation in sports, and high school GPA.